for the calamari
oil (as needed depending on size of pan)
500 grams frozen squid, tubes and tentacles
2 cups breadcrumbs
2 tbls cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
for the garlic lime mayonnaise
½ clove garlic
1/2 lime rind and juice
- Cut the thawed squid into 1 cm rings.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Put the cornmeal, breadcrumbs and salt into a plastic freezer bag.
- Dip the squid pieces in the beaten egg.
- Then place in the bag to coat.
- When the oil is hot enough, fry the squid in batches till golden and crunchy, takes a couple of minutes.
- Grate garlic into the mayonnaise, add the juice and ring of the lime. stir to mix, and then serve with the fried squid.