This is a family favorite, originally the cake had a cream cheese icing but my sister doesn’t eat cheese so I came up with an alternative. This way the whole family can enjoy it.
Carrot cake with Orange frosting
For the cake
• 180g Sugar
• 2 eggs
• 150ml vegetable oil
• 200g wholemeal
• 2 tsp Baking powder
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 300g carrots, peeled and grated
• 80g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
• 1 tsp orange essence or rind of 1 orange
• 100g sultanas or raisins
• 4oz butter
• 8oz icing sugar
• Rind of 1 Orange
• 1/2tsp orange essence
• 1 tbls orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Grease a deep 9in round cake tin cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
3. Whisk the sugar, eggs and oil together in a large bowl using an electric whisk for a few minutes until light and creamy.
4. Add dry ingredients into the bowl. Stir in lightly. Fold the grated carrot, pecan nuts, essence or rind, sultanas or raisins into the mixture.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and smooth the surface.
6. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes. When done remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before turning out on to a cooling rack. Leave to cool completely.
7. For the icing whisk all the ingredients together till light and creamy.
8. Cover the top of the cooled cake with the icing.