Very Berry Tiramisu
1 pkt frozen berries
1 lemon rind and juice
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp castor sugar
2 eggs, separated
250g mascarpone cheese or cream cheese
280ml whipped/double cream (whip till soft peaks)
1 packet of Savoiardi (sponge finger biscuits)
chocolate or cookie crumbs
1. Place the berries in a pan with the lemon juice, rind and the cup of sugar. Bring to the boil then lower heat and simmer for 5 mins, leave to cool.
2. In a separate bowl beat together the egg yolks and sugar for about three minutes until thick and pale.
3. Add the mascarpone or cream cheese and beat until well mixed. Fold in the whipped cream gently with a metal spoon.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites quickly but gently into the cream mixture. Add the remaining liqueur, taking care not to lose the volume.
5. Cover the bottom of a dish with biscuits. Top with some of the cold berries and syrup. Spread some of the cream mixture over the biscuits and then repeat the process again, using up the biscuits and fruit and finishing with a cream layer.
6. can be made in indiviual glasses.
7. Smooth the surface and dust the top with the grated chocolate or cookie crumbs
8. Refrigerate for about two hours or until firm. The longer it is left, the more the flavours will develop.