sour and spicy
4 3 inch pieces fresh turmeric*
10 green chillies
3 tbls chilli power
2 tbls salt
- Wash and cut 7 limes into 8 pieces.
- Peel and slice turmeric ( wear gloves if you don’t want yellow hands).
- Wash the chillies.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Leave for a few hours the fill a glass jar the pickle mix, making sure you press down to fill the jar leaving very few gaps.
- Squeeze the left over limes and pour juice in to the jar, try and get as much lime juice in the as possible. fill to the top.
- Close the lid tightly and place in the fridge.
- After a few weeks remove pickle from the jar and mix it well add more lime juice if it too dry.
- Refill jar and place back in the fridge. should be ready to eat in a couple of weeks
- check every week, top with more lime juice
- serve with curry or rice dish
- Turmeric is one of the main ingredients of curry powder, and is used to give it the characteristic yellow colour. It is also delicious added to rice dishes, seafood, and mustards and pickles. Turmeric is also more widely used as a colourant for textiles and food products. It is sometimes substituted for saffron as it is much less expensive, but produces the same yellow colour. Turmeric has also been used as an alternative to medicine and can be made into a drink to treat colds and stomach complaints.