Borek Feta Cigars
yufka pastry a thin flatbread more robust than phyllo and it’s increasingly easy to find yufka in specialty shops look for triangular sheets for this recipe). If you can’t find yufka use 2 or 3 sheets of phyllo.
200g feta cheese 1 egg 3 spring onions thinly sliced
1 tsp mint chopped
1 tsp parsley dry or fresh
yufka pastry or filo pastry
vegetable oil for deep-frying
· Mash the feta with the mint, parsley and spring onion and mix in the egg.
· Spread a table spoon of mixture on the wide end and spread it into a thin line, leaving a small gap either side to fold over.
· Then brush the yufka pastry with egg and roll, fold the flat end over the top of the cheese, fold in the edges don’t roll too tightly or the borek may burst.
· Place the borek on a tray don’t let them touch each other as they will stick together.
· Heat a large deep pan of oil gently slide 4 or 5 borek into the hot oil and deep fry for 2–3 minutes, until golden brown. drain on paper towel Serve as a snack, starter, hot meze
· Borek can also be baked. Place the borek on a buttered baking tray and brush each one generously with melted butter. Place preheat the oven to 350F, 180C, gas 4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the borek are golden brown and crisp.