Leftover rice pakora
• 1 cup leftover rice
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp green chili ground
• 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
• 2 tbts chopped coriander leaves
• ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
• ½ teaspoon cumin powder
• ½ teaspoon coriander powder
• ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
• Salt to taste
• 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
• 5 tablespoon besan/chickpea flour*
• 5 to 6 tablespoon water or as required
• oil for frying
1. Mash the rice with your hands or with a spoon. mashing the rice gives a soft texture to the pakoras. If rice is dry sprinkle with water and microwave for 1-2 mins.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except the water to the rice. Mix well and keep aside for for 8 to 10 minutes. the onions would release their juices and make the mixture a bit soft. then you can add water as required.
3. Heat oil for frying in a wok or pan to medium heat.
4. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture in hot oil. keep the
5. Fry the pakoras till browned lightly and then you turn them over and continue to fry.
6. Cook till crisp and golden.
7. Drain on paper kitchen towels to remove excess oil.
8. Serve rice pakoras with green chutney or tomato sauce. * basan, gram flour, chana flour, chickpea flour are all the same flour
Thank you Firoza for the photograph x